11th December 2018

Are you entitled to a tax rebate by Christmas?

Did you know you might be in line for a tax rebate by Christmas?

Tax rebate by Christmas - man with angle grinder

Workers around the UK are eligible for a tax rebate by Christmas

Millions of employees in the service industry could collect an early Christmas present from HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Workers, including nurses, hairdressers, construction workers and people working in retail and food sectors, may be able to claim rebates.

Staff in these types of roles sometimes have to dip into their own pockets to pay for work-related expenses like car mileage, replacing or repairing small tools, or maintaining branded uniforms.

If you are paid through PAYE, you may be able to get some of that money back. And if you claim online now it could be in you account before 25 December 2018!

Visit the the GOV.UK website to check if you can claim a tax rebate by Christmas

And, rather than use an agency, in a few clicks you could be on you way to claiming your full tax relief entitlement for genuine work-related expenses.

Click here to see if you qualify.

If eligible, you can log in to your Personal Tax Account to claim for your tax relief online.

And, if your claim is approved, it could be paid within 3 weeks.

Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Mel Stride MP, said:

“We know what a difference tax relief can make to hard-working customers, especially at this time of year. HMRC is keen to make sure customers get all the relief they’re entitled to, by using the online service.”

Tax relief isn’t available for all employment expenses, so the online Check If You Can Claim tool is very helpful. Then if your claim is approved, your full tax relief will be paid directly into your bank account.

The majority of claims are for repairing or replacing tools and branded uniforms, professional subscriptions and mileage. Healthcare workers, people working in food and retail, and those in the construction industry are among the top professions to claim from HMRC.

As well as sorting out your tax rebate by Christmas, if you are a healthcare worker, you may want to check out our top tax tips guide for medical professionals here.

Customers may be able to claim tax relief on the cost of:

  • repairing or replacing small tools needed to do their job (for example, scissors or an electric drill)
  • cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing (for example, a branded uniform or safety boots)
  • business mileage (not commuting)
  • travel and overnight expenses
  • professional fees and subscriptions

If you need help with you tax return or want to ask us advice, you’re welcome to get in touch.

This site uses cookies. Privacy Policy

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.